The Pennant Hills Mens U19’s provides a transition stage between playing Junior AFL and open age competition for Sydney AFL. It is also a great place to develop your football for senior club or representative level football.
To be recognised by the greater AFL community as the benchmark player development club in the Sydney AFL U19 competition in all divisions
- Players, Coaches, Staff, Volunteers and Parents are to commit themselves fully to the pursuit of excellence, through dedication to training, competition and lifestyle.
- The Club will operate a program that allows for any level of player experience to be catered for and improved, with the same attention to detail for all players from coaching and support staff
- Players will be developed simultaneously for 2 complimentary pathways, internally toward open age football after graduating from U19’s, but also supporting the AFL NSW/ACT Talent Development Program, which operates in conjunction with the Swans Academy, Giants Academy, AFL NSW/ACT Rep Sides, TAC Cup and NEAFL Competitions
- Develop players to be capable of playing senior (Open Age) football, and more specifically Premier Division football for Pennant Hills
- To teach our U19’s players to play a similar game plan to the one being used in Pennant Hills open age sides, academies and the NSW Rams state sides
- To continue our involvement with Junior Clubs that feed into Pennant Hills Senior Club, and to provide a supportive player development program to the junior clubs
- To maintain a safe and supportive environment for players and parents transitioning from Junior Clubs or other sports
- To achieve on-field success
At Pennant Hills, we are very fortunate to boast one of the best physio programs in Sydney AFL, covering all grades through Head Physio Lauren Cain and the staff from Carlingford Active Health. If you receive an injury on game day or at training, you must advise your team physio or if they are not available your coach. Carlingford Active Health runs an injury clinic for Pennant Hills players on Monday nights from 6:30 pm, which you are expected to attend if you have received any injury that may prevent you from playing or training at 100%. Carlingford Active Health also offers a sports or remedial massage service if required at a discount rate to club players and members. If you are attending the Monday injury clinic or would like to arrange a general appointment, contact Carlingford Active Health directly on 02 9873 2770 or visit their website by clicking here. Carlingford Active Health is located at 733 Pennant Hills Road, Carlingford NSW, 2118
All players must pay for the compulsory medical insurance provided by JLT as part of the club registration fees. We strongly recommend that all players are also covered by their own private health insurance to cover any gaps between Medicare and the JLT Insurance service. It is also strongly recommended that you get Ambulance Cover as part of your private health insurance (as this is often left out of standard health insurance packages).
VIDEO & FEEDBACK
At Pennant Hills, we are also fortunate to have access to match day videos for players and coaches to use for individual and team-based performance analysis. A login and password will be provided for you to access the Athlete Tracker system, and you will be shown where the videos are located. Please contact your coaches for more info.
TEAM SELECTION PROCESS
The player selection process starts from the Premier Division (1st Grade) team, and then works down through the grades, and includes the following considerations;
- The player’s ability to physically and mentally handle the level being considered
- Commitment to training, self-improvement and attitude toward the club
- Football talent and ability
- A players understanding of the game and team structures
- Adaptability and versatility for the positions available and ability to follow the game plan
- Availability and special requests from Representative football groups such as Sydney Reps, State Reps and Academies.
Team selections are announced on Thursday night after training Club Thursdays in the clubrooms, with teams later posted on Team App.
CLUB EXPECTATIONS OF PLAYERS AND PARENTS
Represent yourself and the club with pride and protect the Penno brand. Our club motto is Every Heart Beats True, and the club mantra is Club – Team – Self (Club first, then your team, then you). Prepare yourself for peak performance (diet, lifestyle, recovery, training attitude, match day commitment). Players are to provide clear communication with coaching staff (e.g. if you cant make training or the game, advise the head coach ASAP so that alternate arrangements can be made to cover you).
Parents are expected to assist the club in some way. The club puts a lot of time, money and effort into developing and supporting your kids, please make this a 2 way process. Come to functions and events, and volunteer for at least 1 job during the year to lighten the load.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM COACHING STAFF
Coaches are always available for advice and support both on and off the field. The coaching staff will work with you to identify your strengths and weaknesses and sort out how to improve on both. Coaching staff will ensure a fair and well-balanced approach to game time and team selections to ensure club success. The coaching staff will NOT tolerate abuse, bullying or vilification of any person, either in our teams or towards the umpires or the opposition.
- Create an enjoyable environment
- A winning culture – play finals
- Develop players so they can become the best possible Pennant Hills Person
- Close the gap between Juniors and Seniors
- Follow the motto of ‘Pride, Respect and Trust’. These actions are the way we are going to work together to create a unified culture within our team and use it as a measurement when it comes to success
Pre Christmas Training starts in mid to late November each year at Mike Kenny Oval – MKO (Joggers only, no boots), and dates are posted on the club website and via team app. Pre Season Training starts 18th January 6:30 – 8pm, and runs every Tuesday and Thursday evening, plus a Sunday session starting at at 9am (at Mike Kenny Oval – MKO) Joggers Only (no Boots). Following Christmas, there will be 2 separate ‘team building’ sessions focusing on group fitness with dates to be confirmed.
Regular season training starts at 6:30pm on Monday and Thursday evenings at Mike Kenny Oval (MKO), Greenway Park, Shepherds Lane, Cherrybrook (Top Oval). Monday sessions will be structured as 30 minutes of film, followed by 60 minutes of game plan training. Thursday will be skills focused with as much touch as possible before games on the weekend. Please note: Players are not required to attend both trianing sessions during the week, they will need to make sure they can train on one of those evenings. If a player can’t make training, the player (not parent) will need to let Joel Cousens know via text or phone call (0430 974 057) 30 mins prior to training commencing at the absolute latest.
Training is always on, rain hail or shine, so plan to train no matter what, and bring the right gear for session. It is advisable to ALWAYS bring Joggers, Boots, Mouthguard, a towel and a change of clothes to all session (we WILL train in the rain)
Gym programs are available for you to undertake at your own gym in your own time (please chat with your coaches if you would like assistance with your gym program). For players who are not involved with Academies or Rep football, it is recommended that you try and do some form of gym work on Mondays and Wednesdays, as field training at the club is Tuesdays and Thursdays. During the regular season try and have a full rest day on Friday to prepare for the Saturday match, then do some form of light exercise on Sunday as a recovery session (e.g. swim, walking or foam roller etc).
Please contact your coach Joel Cousens (0430 974 057) if you need more info about training, as some players may need to modify the program to meet individual needs such as work or study.
TRIAL GAMES AND MATCH DAY EXPECTATIONS
There will be 3 or 4 trial matches in March prior to the regular season (locations and times will be confirmed closer to the date).
You are expected to purchase and wear a club polo shirt to matches, and if possible a club hoody or jacket, available via the merchandise shop here. You are expected to wear neat jeans or shorts to games, and no thongs.
Players are expected to be at the ground no later than 1.5 hours prior to start time to get strapped, prepared and warmed up before the game. All players are expected to arrive with the intent to deliver the game plan. All players are expected to do their post or pre-game duties, if a player can’t do their duties due to other commitments, they will be required to find a replacement (not the coaching staff).
Fixtures will be linked from the club website to the Sydney AFL website where all matches for the year will be listed and updated during the season.
U19’s REGISTRATION & FEES
Visit the registration and fees page by clicking the link here to register for this season with Pennant Hills AFL Club.